Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Ode to a Gnat

Dear Little Gnat,
Who flew so free,
You gave your life
So easily...

For yours had only
Just begun
As winter left
And spring had sprung.

You left the group
You didn't learn
You really thought
You would return.
You hovered there
Right in the sun,
I continued
With my run.

I should have seen
I should have spotted,
I should have waved
And then just swatted.

But alas,
The sun was bright,
My eyes were squinting
From the light.

Your tiny self
Was flying free
I was panting
Just to breathe.

While it's true,
Your time was near
I approached,
You had no fear.

Out of breath
I muchly was,
You didn't even
Think to buzz,

Casualty of
My quest for "thin",
I inhaled,
And you flew in.

"Ick", I thought,
I coughed,
I sputtered,
Spit and blew,
Cursed and muttered.

For you to die,
There was no reason,
You were the first
One of the season

But others too,
Little rangers,
Will not foresee
Imminent danger.

For some poor sap
On foot or bike,
Some small child
Riding a trike,
Some old man
Out on a walk,
Neighbors, outside,
While they talk
Will in sorrow
Wail and wallow
About that insect
They have swallowed.

And so I offer
This advice,
I'm not inclined
To say it twice.

If, dear gnat,
You choose to travel
Sidewalks, pathways,
Streets or gravel.

Be forewarned
This fact alone:
Find a better
Place to roam

For outdoors
Your life you'll give,
ON A BANANA
YOU SHOULD LIVE!

1 comment:

Bets said...

WOW! No wonder that took you so long to write! WAY better than my tweet poem. P.S. I'm going to start using the word "muchly" as muchly as possible! :)