Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Rock n' Roll, Baby

I just returned from a state known for country music and cowboys, but this weekend it was all Rock n' Roll.  As in marathon.  Well, not quite.  The Dallas Rock n' Roll Half Marathon, my second experience with the Rock n' Roll marathon series, only served to solidify the fact that I'll definitely be doing another one in the future.

There are several things to love about these races, but probably the most important one is that they raise money for important medical research to combat serious diseases.  The last one I completed, in Seattle (June 2009) was sponsored by the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society's Team in Training program.  The one this weekend was a Susan G. Komen race against breast cancer.  Many of the competitors in these events are in remission, have lost a family member or friend, or are running in honor of someone.  It's very sobering to be running behind someone wearing a "Running in Memory of ___________" bib.  Makes you feel a little like you're running for them too, and for all the others currently engaged in their own battles against these illnesses.  Anyone who has ever lost a family member or friend to serious disease can attest to the difficulty of watching your loved one go through something so horrible. At one point I was behind a man in his 60's who was running in memory of the woman whose name was on his back.  I found myself wondering if it was his wife, his sister, his mom, or his daughter.  The fact that he was out on that course giving his all in the hopes that his participation might keep someone else's relative or friend around a little longer spoke to me in a way I can't accurately describe in words. 

Despite the seriousness of the charities involved, there are plenty of less serious reasons to run these races.  The anticipation at the beginning is palpable.  Everyone is milling around, stretching, chatting, drinking water, fueling up, laughing, and mentally prepping for the road ahead.  For much of the population of 9,000+, this is their first big race.  The days of training are behind them. Yes, there were days when the weather was cold, when it had been a long day at work, when it was raining, windy, or time was short, but everyone managed to fit in as much training as possible prior to this actual day. And now we're gathered together waiting in corrals for the wave start, simply for the fun of it.  The loudspeakers provide some pre-race jams as well as entertaining color commentary by people well-known in the running world. 

Some really festive runners dress in costume.  This year, I saw lots of St. Patrick's Day gear (green wigs, long socks, suspenders, etc.) as well as the ever-present flying Elvises.  Apparently that costume just never gets old.  I can't imagine completing one of these races while wearing anything other than the standard running gear, but more power to those who are able to run in all that garb. People watching at these races can be quite entertaining, even for the spectators.

That brings me to yet another reason these races guarantee a good time.  The people who come out to cheer you on are genuinely happy to be there.  Some have just walked out their front doors to watch the action.  Others are following their "people", trying to capture the perfect photo or boost confidence along the route.  Many of them are holding signs meant to entertain or enlighten.  One particularly memorable sign that I was lucky enough to see twice during the race said: "Run like Tiger's wife is chasing you!".  This guy was not only funny, but thorough.  He had actually taken the time to put together a collage of photos, including Tiger holding his head in shame and the golf-club-embattled SUV.  Of course I only noticed those upon second viewing at about mile 10.  Good thing I saw him twice, or I would have missed out.  I, of course, pictured myself as Tiger's wife, which gave me some added motivation since for a brief moment I was young, skinny, blonde, foreign, and angry.  Right....clearly that must have been during the "runner's high" portion of the race.  Could be worse, I could've been hallucinating clowns.

An added benefit of running these races is that you get to see parts of cities you would most likely miss as a tourist:  gorgeous scenic areas, quaint residential streets, and areas of downtown urban life.  It's like taking a tour on your feet, and it helps the miles to speed by even if you're slow like me. 

The Rock 'n' Roll marathons are named for the local and regional bands that are set up along the course to keep the runners motivated.  I cheated a bit by using my iPod most of the time, but took my earphones off in front of the band tents so I could hear them play while I was running by (After all, I spend time creating playlists for a reason).  I'm sure it must be odd for the musicians to be playing to a revolving audience, but they rocked out as if they were playing at their favorite club. 

These marathons take place all over the country at various times of the year.  Whether you're an avid runner or a "couch to 5k" beginner, you might want to check out the website at:  http://runrocknroll.competitor.com/ and see if there's a little rock 'n' roll in your future.  I'm already checking my calendar...

1 comment:

Cathy Player Colglazier said...

Great job on the run Mitzi! Almost makes me want to run a Rock 'N' Roll half marathon.....almost. I think I'll stick to the 5K races. :)