Sunday, March 7, 2010

The Runner's Diet

Now that I have succumbed to the "media package" on my phone, I am rarely without email, and at a moment's notice I can get my "Fitness Tips of the Day".  I recently subscribed to Runner's World, and the emails that are sent to my inbox are frequent.  However, usually it's the same two emails.  One of them is to get you to purchase the Runner's World calendar (hopefully they're about done promoting that) and the other is for The Runner's Diet book. The promotional information does make you stop and think.  This quote spoke to me:

"Calories do count, and our underestimation of the amount we eat and the overestimation of the amount we burn is one of the fundamental reasons that recreational runners need a diet especially for them." 

It's from some doctor named Madelyn H. Fernstrom.  I assume she's some sort of diet/exercise doctorlady, but I haven't ever heard of her.  Still, the information is very true.  And never truer than when you are trying to watch what you are eating. 

I imagine everyone in the Midwest has packed on a few pounds this winter, what with the weather being SO awful and it being cold and dark much of the time.  It's very easy to sit around the house snacking during those dreary, frigid days.  If it weren't for that stupid groundhog, maybe we'd be enjoying a bit of 60 degree temps now and again.  But this winter seems to be neverending (thanks, Punxitawny Phil), and therefore it's been difficult for people to get out and burn off any excess calories. 

I read an excellent tip the other day.  It was in an article about keeping a food diary, which experts agree will aid any weight loss efforts.  Except instead of just writing down what you were eating, you were supposed to take a picture of it.  Seems like a great idea.  Someone with my lack of photog skills could use the extra practice anyway.  I think underestimation of our caloric intake is a simple mistake to make.  We don't think about the couple of bites of brownie we had with lunch or the three Tootsie Rolls we ate late in the day.  Same goes for our morning latte habit and our mid-day cracker binge.  It's hard to count those calories because it's easy to forget exactly what has gone into your mouth that day.  Counting the calories in every single bite can become obsessive, which often can lead to unhealthy undereating.  It's a difficult boundary to set for ourselves. 

I am sure the Runner's Diet is pretty healthy.  I imagine it is made up of lots of lean protein, fresh veggies and fruits, and complex carbohydrates such as whole grains.  You see, it's not the knowledge of what's healthy that eludes us.  It's the inability to say no to all the unhealthy foods we are exposed to every day.  It's awfully easy to hit the drive-thru when you're out and about, or to grab something from the vending machine between busy times at work. 

But lately people have been jumping on the healthy eating bandwagon.  Businesses are trying to fight rising health care costs by doing what they can to help their employees stay fit and lose weight.  A friend who works at Home Depot recently became the designated Health and Wellness coach for his store.  His job is to make sure half of the vending machine offerings are healthy and under 200 calories.  Our district has a Health and Wellness coordinator who sends us emails regarding available fitness classes, gym membership discounts, and diet tips. It all adds up to the fact that we Americans tend to over-stress, over-indulge, over-eat, and fail to move enough to counteract any of it. 

I am pondering the purchase of The Runner's Diet just to see what it's all about.  I'll keep you posted.

No comments: