With the treacherous arctic storm we've had here the last week, it's not only been difficult to gain motivation to head to the gym, at times it's been downright dangerous. Enter the world of Exercise TV. A place where beautiful people are just waiting to be your personal trainers right in your very own living room. At the click of a remote, you can be involved in a fitness class with those famous Hollywood trainers or actual stars, as the case may be.
I have a lot to say about the different shows available on Exercise TV, but today's focus is on my two favorite workouts by personal trainer/tv personality, Jillian Michaels. Let me say up front I'm not a huge fan of Biggest Loser. I have watched it sporadically during its various seasons, and can tell you that I've seen Jillian give some of the contestants a pretty hard time. However, as a teacher I can understand her frustration. It's not unlike attempting to explain a concept to a kid in your class and who continually fights you on even trying to understand it. We all get pushed to our limits when we know someone has it in them to succeed.
Jillian has two workouts on ETV that are great for those days you can't or won't get to the gym. The first one, Boost Your Metabolism, is cardio-based circuit training, with some strength interspersed throughout. The thing I love about this workout is that it there is no equipment needed. You need a mat, but could probably do the workout with a towel if you didn't have a mat available. My house is fairly small, so there are some parts that require me to move to various places throughout the living room to complete, but that has more to do with choosing tile over carpet for a more level surface.
This workout is serious. It's 58 minutes, and Jillian doesn't allow you any down time. There's a lot of jumping involved, in the form of burpees, mountain climbers (both standing and in a plank position), jumping jacks, high-knees, and jump squats. It's not a workout for beginners, but you definitely could modify some of the moves and work your way up. The beauty of a remote control also means you can gauge how you are feeling and skip a circuit or two if you are just starting out. Since I'm currently training for a half marathon, I am tied to a training schedule. But there are days I trade out this workout for my run, since it is so cardio-heavy. It's a great way to add in the total body strength work that will help me in my runs.
My other favorite workout is called No More Trouble Zones. This is a strength workout with some cardio by default. It does require weights and a mat, but again uses a fairly small amount of space. It's also close to an hour long, and can be modified to be easier or more difficult, depending on the weights you use. Ladies, this one's for you. The moves target all of those areas we wish were stronger and more toned. If you are just starting out, you might want to forego the weights completely and learn the moves without them. You'll know you've worked your muscles the next day, even without the extra resistance. As you become stronger you can complete the workout with heavier weights. I have found 5 lb. dumbells to be a good medium weight to work with, since I can do all the moves with that amount. There are a few sections in which I switch to 8 lbs, but sticking with the 5's allows me to concentrate on form, thus eliminating the possibility of unnecessary injury.
These videos by Jillian are very professional. She is motivational beyond just the way she looks, which is motivation in itself, and she even throws in a little humor now and then. Not that you can laugh, really, because you're sweating and breathing heavy, but at least it's there for the taking. Her two sidekicks, Kristin and Salima (sp?) complete each move with accurate form and subtlety. They aren't over-the-top smilers or gymbos, and therefore I am able to concentrate on the moves and the workout itself instead of cringing every time they are in the forefront for demonstration purposes.
If you haven't ever checked out the fitness television options before, give them a try. Whether your local cable company has Exercise TV or some other form, it provides a nice option for those non-gym days. Or three-week periods of unusually brutal winter weather, whatever the case may be.
Friday, January 8, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment