Thursday, January 7, 2010

Get Out There and Do Something!

I don't belong to a fancy-schmancy gym.  My local rec center does the trick for the moment.  It's a family-oriented cheap alternative to the "comprehensive workout facility". January 1 brought out a whole new crop of people I had never before seen there.  In fact, the 2nd day of January I had to actually drive around in the parking lot for a while to find a spot. 

At first, I was highly annoyed at the number of "resolutioners" that crawled out of the woodwork.  In fact, I was contemplating a nasty Facebook post about it.  I couldn't believe I was actually having to wait for a treadmill.  The stream of bodies of all shapes and sizes seemed neverending.  The front desk was packed with people waiting for classes, waiting to check in, and there were several of us waiting to use machines.  I had anticipated a jump in the attendance after the first of the year, but couldn't have fathomed one this high, even if it was partially due to the horrendous weather. 

I finally spotted an open treadmill and jumped on.  I had no more put my towel and keys in the holder when I was approached by an elderly gentleman employee/volunteer.  He said, "You just getting on?"  I said, "Yes", thinking all the while "Do you think if I weren't just getting on I would look and smell this fresh?"  His response was, "Well, I'm just trying to help people stick to the 30 minute time limit, so..."  I reiterated that I was just starting, but began to panic a little.   I only have 30 minutes!  That meant no warm up walking for me, I had to get in my 3 miles.  At my pace, that meant I had to step it up a bit to make sure I got the distance covered. 

During my treadmill run, I thought about that poor guy. What a job--Treadmill Policeman.  Good thing he seemed even-tempered.  People weren't likely to give him any trouble since he looked like someone's grandpa.  I did notice him saying something to a couple of runners who were taking advantage and extending their limit a bit.  They smiled, said "thank you", and promptly left the machines.  Undoubtedly they realized they wouldn't want that job either.

As time went on, I began to think about all the people who had come that day to work out.  Many times in my life, I have been that January 1 Warrior, and have allowed myself to fall off the proverbial workout wagon all too quickly over the span of a couple of weeks.  My empathy grew, and I found myself sending all of those people motivation vibes to continue their own fitness journeys.  I knew that the gains they would make would reshape their bodies and give them an overall sense of personal accomplishment.  While I know not all of them will still be around next month, I commend them for getting out there and trying something new.

Good luck to you, with whatever goals you have set for 2010.  If they are fitness related, know that you are doing the right thing for your health and your body. If not, may your life be rich in some new way this coming year.

3 comments:

KC Date Doctor said...

Love the new blog, friend! Great pics and layout, too. Can't wait to read more.

Jim said...

Great post. I think those of us who have been long-time members should get some sort of sign that says, "I have been a member here since (date); therefore, I get treadmill priority." Nothing against the "resolution crowd - good for them! - I'm just sayin', you know? In fact, I might write about that next in my blog, since I'm heading to the gym tonight.

chitknit said...

I heard a woman on the Today show today: her Jan. 1 goal was to join a gym and get in shape. She went one day and and did weights and yoga and now she is so sore and didn't know how to stay motivated.

They told her to see the soreness as a badge of honor, and keep it up. That's a good way to look at it, I guess.